Friday, May 21, 2010

The Beginning of an Awesome Summer

What's up everybody. This is my first post from the luxiourious city of Dubai and man is it an awesome place. Very Hot but awesome.
I landed around 8PM last night local time after about 22 hours of traveling and immediately I was in awe even at the airport. Dubai should literally be called the city of lights as it shines just like the sun. Even at night when we drove in the city was lit up beyond belief. I was treated to a nice sit down atmosphere at Studio one on the Dubai Marina last night and me and Joseph had a nice drink and sheesha (hookah).
I woke up around noon this morning with the temperature hovering around 96 degrees....No big deal if you ask me lol. Me and Joe took some of our stuff to his new apartment and got everything moved in there. It will definitely be a bachelor pad for the rest of the Summer ha ha. We went to the gym got my membership cleared up and then headed to the Dubai version of Bed, Bath and Beyond (no homo). We had some Lebanese food for lunch and the Hummus was delicious. After that we went touring around and I saw the indoor ski resort, the Atlantis resort and a couple of other sweet buildings. We went out for some dinner on Dubai Marina again and here I am.
For most of the Arabic world Friday's are full of prayer and family and it is one of the biggest days for tourism. And even though the temperatures were around 100 degrees today the city was still bustling with energy and life. If America is considered the Melting Pot of society then Dubai should be considered the Melting pan. This city contains Emiratis, Pakistanis, Italians, Dutch, Brazilians, Americans and everyone in between. Better yet, everyone I have met so far are very welcoming people. Grant it this is the United Arab Emirates and the Emiratis do carry a bigger presence both economically and socially, but everyone else just minds their own business. People watching here is absolutely amazing and anyone who likes to people watch would be in heaven (even though staring is not socially acceptable). Every culture is represented and the styles are completely different. My backwards baseball cap is no match for Italian shoes, or the Emirate robes.
However, in the 28 hours I have been here I have already learned some basic Arabic words and have indulged in some amazing food. Even a Chicken Big-Mac...I know real culturally appealing right. I am excited for what the rest of the summer has in store. Thanks to everyone who has helped me through this transition and hopefully soon I can post some pictures and video for those who are wanting to see Dubai.

See you soon
Shane

No comments:

Post a Comment