Sunday, May 23, 2010

Strap up the Big Boy pants

So it is Sunday evening and we are at work finishing in what seems to be a monday for the Arabic culture. This will be my second day of work here in Dubai although it is the first full day.

Saturday held many suprises for the first day of work. We woke up and treated ourselves to a smoothie on the beach. It was pretty sweet catching a smoothie on the smooth waves of the Persian Gulf. When we got to work I got the customary tour of the place and I am still finding new places as we go around the first week. The warehouse is absolutely huge housing around 9,000 units some singular and somee boxes. The company I am working for is called Deal Distribution and it is a third party logistics company that handles shipments throughout the arabic world. Most of its business is done throughout the UAE, Oman, Saudia Arabia and Syria but they have contracts throughout. I met many people yesterday and the workers in the warehouse call all of us "boss" and "sir", something I don't ever think I will be able to get used to at least for a couple of years. We are socially held in a higher regard to them and even thinking about it makes me feel for them a little bit.

Work was the typical first day which involved reading up on Standard Operating Procedures and meeting all of the staff, even though it was a Saturday and there was only about half of the people there. It was a casual day so it was nice to escape the heat wearing khakis and a polo. They are building a brand new extension onto the warehouse so I got to take a peak that and let me tell you it was amazing. State of the art equipment and new offices will make this company one of the top around.

After work, we met some of Joe's friends at the mall for some Pinkberry Ice Cream. If you don't know what it is ask me later and I will happily explain as it was delicious. I also got to witness for the first time the indoor ski park and man that is a work of art. I only saw it through the windows but man was it amazing. We decided that we should probably go work out after that and we went and got changed to hit the beach. We grabbed the football and hit Jumeirah Beach for some good ole' excercise. The beach was nice it was around 8PM so it wasn't that hot and we had a great time. A good 3 mile beach run really hit the spot and after that I got my first grocery store experience in the middle east. As is custom Muslims don't eat pork so there was a seperate room away from the store for that. The thing that really suprised me was the inflated prices. Me and Joe bought a pound of turkey meat from the deli and paid around 10 bucks (32 dirhams). When we went to check out we realized we had spent around 90 bucks and hadn't really gotten anything, it was quite depressing if you ask me.

The night concluded with the HANGOVER and a sandwhich along with a dip in the pool so I was quite happy. Although I didn't go into the Persian Gulf because the water temperature was a cool 86 degrees.

Today was the first full day of work and it was kind of rough to be honest. We had two meetings and a lot of stuff to get done as this is the Monday over here. We had a nice gym workout this morning which I think hurt a little bit but other than that the day has went well. I have met some Americans and some Brits so I am not all alone over here in this Arab speaking world and two people here in the office are Macedonian and Romanian and their accents are pretty cool. I hope no one is getting bored by reading these I will try and spice them up a bit but hey its my life right now....who cares

No comments:

Post a Comment