Sunday, May 30, 2010

Weekends are for the Warriors

So it's Sunday and everyone over in America is probably getting ready for church and waiting for that graduation BBQ or the Memorial Day picnic but over here it's just a full day's work. Thinking about it now I am definetly going to miss the Memorial Day festivities. All the picnics and food and swimming and fun. However, we will try and have a little American celebration over here even though there are only two of us.

This weekend held many suprises and many sights that I was hoping to see. On Friday I had my first chance to sleep in and man was it amazing. I got to sleep til around 11:30 and then the sun got to bright so I lost that battle and had to get out of bed. Upon waking up I heard the pool calling my name so I had to go see what he wanted, I mean obviously he wanted to play. Joseph was needing a new pair of sandals so we headed to the mall. Now this isn't even the biggest mall in Dubai and it would literally take you around 2 days to walk around and see every store and I am not exaggerating either. It was huge, and it had almost every store you could think of minus like Gucci and stuff thats a little later. However, what the most amazing thing about this mall was its theme. It is called the Ibn Batuta Mall and was named after a famous Arabic Traveler called Ibn Batuta. Go figure right, I mean where did they come up with something like that. Anyway, every different section of the mall was a different dynasty based thousands of years ago. There was the Tunisian/Moroccan section, the Egyptians, the Persian dynasty, the Indians (India), and then the Chinese. Each section was structured around that culture and it was just unbelievable. I will have to post the pictures so you guys can check it out.

After the mall we went to his Uncle's house for dinner and fellowship and man was it awesome. We had lamb, chicken, some desert potato things that are really expensive because, well they only grow in the desert. Salad, dessert, oh it was the works and the worst part for me was that everything was delicious. On friday night we went out to the Dubai Marina to play a little game of Backgammon and just chill underneath the Dubai lights. It was a pretty good cap to a wonderful day.

On Saturday we got up and got ready for work. Its casual saturdays over here so it wasn't anything to serious. Saturday was a very light day at work and it seemed to take forever, however we got to leave early and I was thankful for that. The gym was calling our names so me and Joe hit the gym to continue our lifting routine (I think i can already see my shirt ripping), and then we hit the pool for a little swim. Last night was probably one of the coolest nights yet in both temperature and events. We went to the Dubai Fountains which are right at the base of the tallest building in the world, and if anyone has seen the fountains in Vegas, these are bigger and better. They come on every half hour and amaze thousands of people who just stop to watch. We sat down at a restauraunt and had a massive meal. It was me, Joseph, Rami and Majd and we all pretty much stuffed ourselves while watching the fountains. Another amazing thing was the Dubai mall which is right beside the fountains and this mall is the biggest mall I have ever seen by far. It has four floors, and each floor is about the size of a small town. It has every store imaginable and I am not kidding. You name it you can find it here. It also has an aquarium, a skating rink and 10 food courts. Not to mention a movie theater and well the fountains. We only walked through enough to get to the fountains and man was I amazed.

After the Mall we went to a bar called Trader Vic's so we could chill out and have a good time. This bar was really neat and had a latin/carribean feel, with the music to back it up. It was pretty packed but the company was good. It was right around the area of the Burj al Arab, which is the famous hotel here in Dubai so it was awesome scenery. However, the workday was calling so we were forced to turn in.

Today has been very busy and what else would you expect from what I call "Monday". We have had two very big meetings and we have been finalizing procedures for our transportation take over here in a couple of days. Either way it was a good day and I can't wait to hit the beach for an hour or two after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment