Thursday, May 27, 2010

First Week...wow

So at this point in time I have been in Dubai for a couple hours over a week and it has been a great experience so far and I have no reason to believe that it will change for the worse. I have met some great and amazing people and have learned many many things about business and culture. My only hope is that Dubai continues to amaze me in ways i never thought possible.

I really don't remember what happened on Tuesday so I am going to skip it and write about Wednesday. Wednesday was a tremendously busy day at the office and I am just glad I didn't go to the gym before hand or it could have been worse. It was just terribly busy with meetings and procedures that had to be typed up. Also, there are people moving offices and offices being redone so the place has been something of a madhouse the past couple of days. I found out earlier this week that I had gotten a tryout for a Summer league team that consists of a couple of ex-pros and guys that are looking to make it on the professional level so all day wednesday I was nervous about that. I mean I can't let the Americans down on the international level (haha, that's a joke). Other than that wednesday went smoothly, I finished writing a standard operating prodcedure for the internal system at Deal Distribution and we polished of the Inbound Standard Operating procedure for the shipping companies.

So on Wednesday night I went for this tryout and as I already said I was quite nervous. However on the ride over I was reminded that everyone that plays on these teams are working men and they are just gathering for a place to play and relax. When I got there i noticed our team was made up of a bunch of brits, an indian, a canadian and me- the american. So i felt at home in a bit of a way because I am used to playing with crazy british and canadian guys (right boys haha), but I soon found out that even though these were friendly matches, the competition was quite intense. In the end though we drew one game and lost the other but it was a good chance to just play some football again. The pitch was amazing as well. It was four rugby fields outside of a 50,000 seat stadium and the games were played on these beautiful rugby pitches. At the end of the night though it was back to bed for the morning.

Today was a pretty exciting day at work as I got my first project to myself. Additionally, I now have my own computer and working area. So my whole day was spent working on this new project. If anyone knows what an internal audit is that is what I am scheduling and putting together. A rather painstaking process in a company that deals with a multi-million dollar warehouse. Furthermore, I am not in charge of helping out with the renovation of the website which includes helping Joseph transfer a powerpoint to website information. At the end of today it was time for the weekend as the Muslim day of prayer is friday so we will not go to work tomorrow. Me and Joseph treated ourself to a customary shave and haircut. I mean by the way my facial hair grows I needed a shave very badly (once again it's a joke). It was an awesome experience however, because it was done by a old timers razor and in a barbershop which was pretty cool and the whole time they talked about the world cup so I was pretty happy.

We treated ourselves to a nice Mexican dinner tonight on the beach front and now we are chlling around the pool deck just passing away the time. So it's a goodnight from Dubai, I will look forward to telling you about my amazing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment