Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Family Comes In...

So it was a rather laid back monday at work, that was until the boss arrived. Joe's Uncle runs this company called Deal Distribution and he was previously out of town until Sunday night when he returned from Syria. So on Monday when he entered the office the work picked up and that meant I had the all important meeting with the big guy. I am not going to lie I was a little nervous at first after all this guy does own shares in 4 sister companies and makes a ton of money. However, it was very relaxing and he introduced me to some lessons of the trade. The rest of the day just took off from there as there were company reports and standard operating procedures to be written out. We had a minor problem in the new warehouse as the floor is a little off level which has caused the racks to push up against the pillars but that is something I can't really explaing because I am not pursuing a career in engineering. Joseph and I continued our work on the 100 million dollar contract and it has been a very rough transition as both sides want something compeletely different and we have to figure out someway for this deal to go through.

Lunch was absolutely delicious as I had a nice Iranian dish full of rice, chicken and lamb. It hit the spot I must say. The day continued on and in the end me and Joseph were just ready for a nap, however the family were coming back from Syria so that wasn't an option. We had to head to his Aunts house to clean up a little (he has been housesitting for the past month and a half) and then we had to run back to his apartment change and head to the airport to greet his two aunts. On the way we passed the massive and beautiful skyling of Dubai and I tried to take some pictures but it is hard in a car and they didn't turn out very well at all. We met his uncles at the airport and greeted his aunts coming out of customs. It was all fun after that.

We all went back to his uncle's house to have a meal and I will tell you it was an awesome experience. Although I didn't understand a word that was spoken, the smiles and good food were enough for me. There were ten of us sitting around the dinner table and it was full of arabic bread, rice and pine seeds, chicken, lamb with potatoes, soup and the interesting thing was there was only three cups of water on the table and everybody shared. It is a big occacsion when the whole family gets together and it was a fun one. We finished off the night but watching a wedding video and drinking some turkish coffee.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having an awesome time! :) I'm enjoying reading about your experiences. I love learning about different cultures and cultural norms. Props to you, though, for actually going and experiencing it. I'm not sure what I would do if I just up and went to a place where I didn't even know the language! Haha. How is that working in the business side of things?

    ReplyDelete